We’re back from our summer hiatus for a new season, and who better to kick things off with than resident technical pedant, chicken aficionado and regular emergency co-host Scott Cameron.
What have you been playing?
- Scott’s been playing a raft of games old and new. First up is Yakuza 0 where we convince Susan as to its virtues by diving deep into the series’ absurdities – as it fluctuates wildly between extreme violence, sentimentality and slapstick humour (much like this podcast).
- Scott’s been tidying up in Guild Wars 2 in anticipation for the forthcoming Path of Fire.
- Next up on the mega Scott playlist is Metroid: Samus Returns, which prompts an inevitable discussion of the ill-fated fan remake of Metroid 2 in contrast to the pseudo-official fan made Sonic Mania.
- Finally Scott’s tried the Octopath Traveller demo on Switch, Square Enix’s charming new retro RPG from the Bravely Default team.
- Dean has been playing Paragon a lot more since the update The New Dawn, which has seismically changed the game.
- Dean has also been submerged in Destiny 2 and is determined to get Raid ready, although he’s not sure he’s enjoying Crucible as much.
- Susan’s been playing and streaming (in both senses of the word) Life is Strange: Before the Storm and getting back in touch with her Emo teenage inner persona.
Spotlight: Player Unknown’s Battlegrounds
For our spotlight this time we discuss the site’s continuing, and possibly abusive, love affair with Player Unknown’s Battlegrounds (PUBG) and Scott’s bitterness over its success. You can check out our streams of this and other games over at www.twitch.com/readyupvideo
Two Truths, One Lie
It’s time to wrap up with two truths, one lie with Scott, but can we see through his deep knowledge of retro games and eighties ephemera?
Ready Up Podcast theme music courtesy of Tommy Tallarico