Scott steps in to co-host alongside Susan while Dean continues to play the escape game that is academic life. They’re joined by Anna Eerkes (@lpfreaky90) and Stephen Ferguson (@lonewolf2056) of Prism Studios (@PrismStudiosUK), the developers behind Portal Stories: Mel, and Portal Stories: VR.
What have you been playing?
- Stephen has been playing Factorio, and the smooth automation and constant refining reminds him of… video game development.
- Anna has been playing Dark Souls 2, and enjoying running around naked with a big sword. She’s also been playtesting Prism Game Studio’s upcoming title, The YR Initiative.
- Scott has finished Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice, and has dabbled in Uncharted 4, appreciating that Nathan Drake’s idea of fun/adventure isn’t quite the same as everyone else’s.
- Susan went back to XCOM: Enemy Unknown to get some training in and… it’s not going very well.
We chat to Anna and Stephen about the award-winning Portal Stories: Mel, which leads to an interesting diversion about fanworks, licensing and the stances that large developers take concerning usage of their properties. They share stories of developing Portal Stories: VR, and speak more about their adventures of developing in VR. Finally, they offer up some of their best advice for aspiring developers.
Theme of the Week: It Takes Two!
- Since Stephen and Anna come as a pair, it’s only fair that we discuss our favourite video game duos.
Two Truths, One Lie
- It’s a double-whammy of a round with both guests coming up with a set of truths and lies! Can Susan and Scott navigate through and net that sweet, sweet double score?
Ready Up Podcast theme music courtesy of Tommy Tallarico