We welcome our guest Si Lumb (@si_lumb), Product Manager for BBC Research & Development, who’s responsible for evangelising videogames there and experimenting VR.
What have you been playing?
- Si has been playing the Forza Horizon 3 demo as well as Horizon 2, and gives us some pro tips on being a savvy (and savvy) gamer. He also tells us about the greatest game: parenthood, which sounds like a big series of fetch quests. Si’s also been playing The Fall and we talk about great sci-fi stories and the problems/promises of procedural generation.
- Dean’s finally gotten around to playing Inside, and Si and he wax lyrical about how masterful it is. Si gives his thoughts on what interactivity lends to games above and beyond traditional media.
- Amidst all this profundity, Susan’s been playing a timewaster mobile game called Kleptocats… but wait! There seems to be more going on here.
- It’s time to grill Si about what he does exactly at the BBC, which is super fascinating. It turns out that VR and interactive experiences are reaching out beyond the world of videogames. You can find out more about his projects, as well as lots of other experimental idea the BBC are trying out, over at BBC Taster.
Theme of the Week: Holodecks!
- We imagine what our ideal Holodeck experience would be.
Two Truths, One Lie
- It’s time for two truths, one lie in which we get to hear Si’s phenomenal owl impression and Dean relives his memories of Ed the Duck and Susan opens his mind to joys of Bing.
Ready Up Podcast theme music courtesy of Tommy Tallarico